Two Echo Park buildings declared historic landmarks

The Los Angeles City Council voted last week in favor of declaring the Echo Park branch of the Bank of America and the former Echo Park Clubhouse as city historic-cultural landmarks. The two buildings were nominated by the Echo Park Historical Society, which hired Charlie Fisher to research the properties and file the application. Monument status not only recognizes the building’s architectural and historic value but also provides additional protection against demolition or changes that would change the properties’ historic features.

The Echo Park Clubhouse at 1004 Echo Park Avenue was built by the city in 1906 and was originally located on the current site of the Echo Park Recreation Center on Bellevue Avenue, south of Echo Park Lake. The Craftsman-style building was designed prominent Los Angeles architect Sumner P. Hunt as the city’s second recreation center. Click here for more history and the landmark application.

The Bank of America building at the southeast corner of Sunset Boulevard and Echo Park retains much of its original character since being constructed in the late 1920s. A Bank of America office has operated from the same corner for about 80 years, making it one of the bank’s oldest branches to operate from the same location. Click here for more history and the landmark application.

The two buildings join the growing list of city landmarks in the Echo Park area.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *