But the tank remained. Surrounded
by trees and houses, it now sits at the
junction of Cerro Gordo and Lemoyne
streets. In March of 1911, seeking to increase the safety
and capacity of Edendale Tank, the Water Department lined the interior and exterior of the tanks steel walls with a total
of 15 inches of reinforced concrete while at the same time increasing the tank's height to 30- feet and topping it all with
a reinforced concrete roof.
After construction was completed,
the Los Angeles Times noted that the tank's capacity had been increased to 700,000 gallons, and the tank "is a real ornament
to the region."
Chief Mechanical Engineer
of the Water Department Fred Fischer wrote: "Moreover, this
improvement has meant the replacement of an unsightly black tank with a concrete structure simple yet commanding in appearance
and serving for a landmark that is visible for miles up the San Fernando Valley."
Today the Edendale Tank,
in combination with Elysian Park Tank at Park Drive
and Avon Park Terrace, provides the majority of the Echo
Park and Silver Lake communitieswith
potable water by and large from the Colorado River via Eagle Rock Reservoir.
*Until l911, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power was named simply the Water Department
appeared in the Spring 2006 issue of the EPHS News.