What's in a name? Plenty, when it comes to the winding
streets and avenues of our neighborhood.
This newsletter has already highlighted the most dramatic name changes from Echo Park's past: Sunset Boulevard was previously known as Reservoir Street, while Glendale Boulevard served as Lake Shore Avenue south of Sunset and Allessandro Street just north
Still, it boggles the mind to see just how many streets were renamed at the start of the 20th century. For example, Echo Park Avenue used to be known as Echo Park Road, and
before that it was Mecca Street!
Smaller sections of streets also were transformed. Lemoyne Street was known as Olympian north of Effie Street, but went by the name of Edgar south of Effie all the way down to Grafton.
Not far away, Lake Shore Avenue as it passed from Avalon north
to Cerro Gordo -- was originally known as Tropico.
In fact, maps of northern-most Echo Park from around 1900 are awash in unfamiliar names: Husted, Taylor and Waverly Streets became Ewing, Avalon and Avon Terrace, respectively.
Still, some of the changes fit like a glove. Cerro Gordo, which is translated into fat hill in Spanish,
used to go by the much more unromantic name of Morcom Avenue. Somehow, that name seems to befit a faceless corporation, not a winding hillside road